- made in canada
- also a hong kong permanent resident
- pays (expensive) rent in mountain view, california
- speaks english, cantonese and (very) limited french, mandarin
- aged 21 22 23 too many years
- in a long-term relationship with PhD Thesis and it's complicated
- proposed to my PhD Committee (Ian Lane, Bhiksha Raj, Chris Dyer, Quoc Le) in December 2015
- 2016 interned at Google Research as a researcher overdosing Google Brain with Latent Sequence Decompositions
- 2015 interned at Google Research as a researcher teaching Google Brain how to Listen, Attend and Spell
- 2015 interned part-time at Google Research cooking secret Google Brain sauce
- 2014 interned part-time at Google Research as a moocher eating sushi (e.g., continuation of internship project)
- 2014 interned at Google Research as a researcher working on natural language processing
- 2012 interned at Google as a software engineer working on machine learning ranking and ads
- 2010 interned at TD Securities as a quantitative financial engineer working on equity derivative pricing
- 2009 interned at Amazon as a software engineer working on amazon prime
- 2009 interned at Google as a software engineer working on file systems
- 2008 interned at Intel as a platform architecture engineer working on mobile platforms
- 2007 interned at NVIDIA as a software engineer working on directx drivers
- 2007 interned at AMD as a hardware engineer working on dtv hardware
- William Chan, Yu Zhang, Quoc Le and Navdeep Jaitly, "Latent Sequence Decompositions," in arXiv 2016.
- Yu Zhang, William Chan and Navdeep Jaitly, "Very Deep Convolutional Networks for End-to-End Speech Recognition," in arXiv 2016.
- William Chan and Ian Lane, "On Online Attention-based Speech Recognition and Joint Mandarin Character-Pinyin Training," in INTERSPEECH 2016.
- Guan-Lin Chao, William Chan and Ian Lane, "Speaker-Targeted Audio-Visual Models for Speech Recognition in Cocktail-Party Environments," in INTERSPEECH 2016.
- William Chan, Navdeep Jaitly, Quoc V. Le and Oriol Vinyals, "Listen, Attend and Spell: A Neural Network for Large Vocabulary Conversational Speech Recognition," in ICASSP 2016 (Student Paper Award; also earlier version in arXiv 2015 and NIPS Deep Learning Symposium 2015).
- William Chan and Ian Lane, "Deep Recurrent Neural Networks for Acoustic Modelling," in arXiv 2015.
- William Chan, Nan Rosemary Ke and Ian Lane, "Transferring Knowledge from a RNN to a DNN," in INTERSPEECH 2015.
- William Chan and Ian Lane, "Deep Convolutional Neural Networks for Acoustic Modeling in Low Resource Languages," in ICASSP 2015.
- William Chan and Ian Lane, "Distributed Asynchronous Optimization of Convolutional Neural Networks," in INTERSPEECH 2014.
- Le Nguyen, Pang Wu, William Chan, Wei Peng and Joy Zhang, "Predicting Collective Sentiment Dynamics from Time-series Social Media", in ACM SIGKDD WISDOM 2012.
- William Chan and Jason Lohn, "Spike Timing Dependent Plasticity with Memristive Synapse in Neuromorphic Systems," in IEEE IJCNN 2012 (Travel Fellowship for Spiking Neural Networks).
- running, badminton, hiking, canoeing
- eating (new zealand grass fed) steaks, (australian) lobsters, (gunkan maki/toro) nigiri sushi
- drinking wine (new zealand sauvignon blanc and napa valley cabernet sauvignon)
- trading stocks (only when money is made)
- photography (newest gf is canon 6d, 24-105L, ex-gf was panasonic lumix gf1, 20mm, 7-14mm, exex-gf was canon xsi, 18-55mm, 50mm, 60mm macro, 17-40L)
- travelling and has been to canada, usa, great britain, belgium, france, luxembourg, switzerland, italy, germany, hong kong, china, japan, taiwan, singapore, indonesia, malaysia, thailand, cambodia, australia, new zealand